Bearcats get blown out, make it 22 straight L's

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The Orrick Bearcats continue to struggle on the football field, even with the start of a new season.

Orrick got run over -- literally -- early and never recovered at Polo, falling to the Panthers 60-30 last Friday night to run their long losing streak of more than two years to 22 games.

"We knew going in that Polo was a physical team, and they did not disappoint," Bearcats head coach Dave Rash said.

Polo screamed out to a 24-0 lead in the first quarter before the Bearcats finally got on the board. Grant Stubbeman connected with Blaine Wilson, who scampered the rest of the way to finish off an 80-yard touchdown pass.

But Polo kicked into overdrive again, rolling up 36 unanswered points to build a commanding 60-6 lead at halftime.

Orrick never quit in the second half and did move the ball with a lot of success. Stubbeman finished off a drive in the third period with a four-yard touchdown run, and Elijah Smith and Seth McAfee each had rushing touchdowns in the final quarter.

"Our players were resilient and battled back in the second half to put some points on the board," Rash said.

Stubbeman ended up throwing for 122 yards, completing one other pass for 42 yards to Alex Stockton. Smith led the ground game with 75 yards on 14 carries, while Stubbeman also rushed for 63 yards on 10 attempts.

The Bearcats piled up 260 yards of offense. The defense did force a pair of fumbles, but yielding a whopping 429 yards and eight touchdowns, all via the running game, proved to be Orrick's undoing.

Despite still searching for that elusive first win, Orrick continues to improve under Rash, and he believes his team is ready to finally win a game as soon as this coming Friday evening when they entertain Concordia.

"We are happy to see improvement from last season," Rash said. "We will look to build on that and continue to work toward that first win."

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: