Annual Winston-Guier Apple Butter Day celebrated

Wednesday, October 30, 2019
Contributed image Above: Nelson Guier (left) combines apples and pears in preparation for making apple butter at the annual Winston-Guier Apple Butter Day, held at the home of Greg and Laurie Guier on Saturday, Oct. 12.

Greg and Laurie Guier hosted the 2019 edition of the Winston-Guier Apple Butter Day at their farm on Saturday, Oct. 12.

The combined families have been making apple butter for 42 years, with the purpose of raising money for Blackwater Chapel Church. The work and celebration day has grown, and this year about 70 friends came to work, eat and socialize.

Two big copper kettles produced about 170 pints of apple butter, and the cider mill produced about 8 gallons of apple juice.

Of course, there was plenty of food, including pulled pork, turkey legs and hot dogs from the grill, manned by Brent and Mitch Guier. Steve Guier and his wife had a small outdoor grill going and baked some biscuits in a skillet.

Folks came from next door (Bill and Virginia Killian) and from as far away as Olathe, Kan., (James and Crystal Arnold, with friends). Other places represented were Raytown, Montrose, Raymore, Warrensburg, Sedalia and Blue Springs.

People came and went. Among those who stayed to help all day were Nelson Guier of Sweet Springs, Harlan Schroeder of Houstonia, John Shively of Marshall, Bill Wiseman of Lowry City, Kent Lawson of Leeís Summit, Keith Winston of Kansas City, Samantha Sunderland of Knob Noster, and Marilyn Pittman of Kingsville.

Someone brought a pumpkin and some magic markers. Guests were invited to write on the pumpkin something for which they were thankful. Some of the inscriptions were: Jesus, apples, cows, wheels, movies, my wife, friends, modern medicine, family, and Octoberís bright blue weather.

Fifty pints of apple butter were set aside to be sold at Blackwater Chapelís Lordís Acre Sale on the first Saturday of November.

Blackwater Chapel was organized in 1840 by H.L. Dodd and G. W. Newly at the home of John Rice. At first it was known as Freedom Church, because it met in the Freedom School located at the west and a little north of the present church. After 16 years, the church grew and the members were compelled to erect a church. About 1856 or 1857, the old Blackwater Church was erected and dedicated in 1856 or 1857. The building included a gallery for negro slaves and served the church until it was destroyed in 1880 or 1881 by fire. The present Chapel was erected in 1882. NOTE: Additional information from the Blackwater Chapel Facebook page.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: